Friday, October 30, 2009

Loving Well

Last Saturday, I attended a one-day women's retreat at my church.  It was a Beth Moore series called "Loving Well".  Honestly, I wondered what she would have to say that I haven't heard about love.  I have heard dozens of sermons and teachings about love.  I've read soooo many books about love - related to marriage, parenting, ministry...  And there were definitely a few familiar themes in her teaching.  But I must say that there were some AWESOME new insights that I had never heard before - at least not put in such a memorable way.  Here are some of the things that have stuck with me, a week later...
  1. We must accept that there are different kinds of people that the Word of God has instructed us to love: "Joy" - these are those wonderful people that make it so easy to love them; "Testy" - kind of speaks for itself, but those people that seem determined to make you angry; "Foe" - enemies, the people you hate or have not forgiven; "Far" - the people around the world that are strangers to you, but need Christ.
  2. LOVING IS NOT OPTIONAL FOR THE BELIEVER! This is something that I've really been focusing on in youth ministry lately.  When you're at an immature state in life (whether that's adolescence or spiritual immaturity), you just get the idea that when someone offends or annoys you, you have the right to just kick them out of your life.  For a Christian - that is NEVER your right.  There is no offense on the planet that Jesus' blood has not covered.  And if His blood has covered it, we have no right to hang onto that offense.  Love is the first fruit of the Spirit that is listed...it is definitely the first evidence that nonbelievers look for in us - "is she for real? how does she treat others/"  If the world will know us "by our love", then we better take the command to love very seriously...and I'm not sure that we always do.
  3. Love with INSIGHT!  This was a wonderful explanation for me!  There are people in our lives that genuinely can cause harm to us, either physically, emotionally, or sometimes sexually.  While we are commanded to forgive and release them...we do NOT have to put ourselves repeatedly in harm's way.  To love with insight means to be smart with your heart choices!  Ask yourself, "why do I attract people who are hurtful?"..."why am I attracted to them?" 
After 5-6 interruptions from my pre-schoolers, I've forgotten some other things that I was going to write.  :o)  So I'll wrap it up for now.  After I glance at my notes, I may share some other things - but if you have an opportunity to see this Beth Moore series, you will LOVE it.  ;o) 

No comments:

Post a Comment