Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Annette's Feb Post

Chapter 2: The Michael Scott Syndrome

I am a huge Office fan so I totally enjoyed this reference - it makes so much sense. :o)  Self awareness - and the lack of it - definitely defines Michael Scott accurately.  And I immediately knew what was coming...  Since I've done so much reading the last few years, I also knew what was coming as soon as Mr. Saccone started talking about how much God loves us in spite of our flaws (which I am so grateful for).  It seems like when an author starts being very affirmative and reminding us that God's love is unconditional, I brace myself for the sock-it-to-you revelation that is coming.  And I was right!

If you're married, you have someone who is usually very willing to point out your weaknesses.  LOL  But that's not enough if you really want to have an accurate picture of who you are.  He talked about relationships of honesty.  I think that I have built a few of those into my life (thanks Mom & Dad who always taught me this principle), BUT the other side of that is making sure that you're open to seeking that feedback from time to time.  Even if people see things in you and are willing to be honest about it, they generally don't call you up and offer to give you some healthy critique once a month.  So we still have to be responsible to seek that.  That is not a pleasant thing to do...but even in this last year, I've learned a lot from those kinds of conversations.  I also really liked that he talked about activating the reflective mind in you!  I was relieved actually because I regularly do this.  I know you can definitely take it too far - never good enough, beat yourself up etc.  But I do agree it's a healthy practice.  After every meeting I go to (even weekly staff meetings), I think about how I participated or how I led.  Did I include everyone's input?  Did I respond appropriately to any disagreements or differing views?  Did I make sure people I work with feel valued?  Thank goodness it's a good habit!!  :o)

I'm really enjoying this book and I hope that in all of your reviews, you don't just regurgitate what the author wrote.  Your reviews are also an outlet to GET PERSONAL and show what you are learning and applying from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment