Sunday, May 15, 2011

Natalie's RI Chapter 5 & 6 book review

Chapter 5 - "The Compelling Relator" is a chapter that challenged me but it can also be quite intimidating. I think I've always had that desire to be liked by all. Looking back in my life I can see where I was trying to fit in. I also recall times where I challenged the norm and didn't go along with what everyone else was saying or doing. That surely didn't bring me great popularity. I pray that although I made a lot of mistakes along my younger christian years that people will remember me as compelling and that I did take a stand for things that I believed in. One area that I think I may struggle with now is being culturally relevant. A lot of my time outside of home is at church, and I really only listen to christian music. I haven't read a non-christian book probably since college. So I do kind of feel disconnected to culture. And its not that I think I really care because the world has gotten so corrupt. The only reason that I feel like I should is that I want to be relevant to unbelievers and make an impact in the lives of unsaved around me.
Being a better communicator is also another big challenge for me. I don't speak to large groups very often but even if life group situations I know this would be helpful. Having passion is also another great leader. I don't know any effective leaders that aren't passionate in their field. Sometimes I feel like my passion hasn't been fully harnessed. So this chapter definitely challenged me to see my shortfalls. But it has challenged me to try to be interesting.

In chapter 6 the author talks about being a "conversational futurist." Jesus was obviously the best model of this. I think what's important to get out of this chapter, and what Jesus demonstrated, was getting to the heart of the issue. Sometimes it seems like in conversation we can seem like we're going round and round but never getting to the point. Jesus saw people for who they really were and saw their real need. I think the key to this is what the author calls "keeping one ear to earth and one ear to heaven." We should always be aware of what the Holy Spirit may be prompting us to do or say.

No comments:

Post a Comment