Sunday, May 15, 2011

Natalie's RI Chapters 3 & 4

What I got out of being a story collector is that part of relational intelligence is drawing people out. When we ask people questions that are deeper than just discussing the weather we can connect with them and they feel a sense of being valued and that someone cares about them. I think we all want to feel like we are understood and that someone else can relate to what we're saying. The most important thing I think the author is saying is that if we get to know who a person really is then we will be able to have greater influence in their life. This is so important in getting to know new people and getting to a place where you can speak into someone's life.

In the "Energy Carrier" chapter the author describes how leaders set the tone for energy. I can definitely resonate with this chapter. Having been a life group leader for several years now I can see how things like distractions and the appearance of alertness can be energy killers. The energy of a group can really go down when it seems like people aren't paying attention or just aren't really engaged in what's going on. I know that he's talking more about the leader having distraction in his/her own mind or being internally asleep. But I guess I can see it both sides. I know I've been guilty of pretending to be listening to someone when in reality my mind is really somewhere else. This chapter motivated me to try new things to create positive energy in our group and to keep people involved and motivated. Especially at this point in my life I do feel pretty distracted on the inside so I have a hard time being fully in the moment, so that is something I will be thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment