Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Annette's Ch 8 & 9 Book Review

Well we're down to the end...I really enjoyed this book!  Good insight - caused me to really consider some things about myself.

Chapter 8: I laughed to myself when I started reading about the consumers versus investors.  I've talked with a couple of fellow Signeteers recently about the "life suckers".  I felt the author's approach was very balanced. "Consumers are relationally greedy and never satisfied with the investment someone makes in them."  In ministry, you will inevitably encounter people like this. I also appreciated that he said there are exceptions.  "If God calls us to invest in someone who doesn't look or act like the person we think will maximize our invest...this is the spiritual trump card over any leadership strategy of our own."  He wasn't making an absolute statement about all people all the time.  We do have to discern when God is directing us as well.  Sometimes He's going to send us a life-sucker and we have to follow through.  But this was a great principle to think about!  And in fact, it's why I chose all of you for Signet!!  I believe that each of you have influence and I want to help you invest in others.  It also spurs me on to growth at the same time.  This chapter truly was a principle that Christ employed in his life on earth.  He taught and spoke to crowds of thousands, but he personally discipled and invested in 12 men.  The one thing I wish the author would have given more insight about was how to deal with a life-sucker when you know it's a purse with holes.  That can be tough.

Chapter 9: Jesus really did emphasize relationships throughout his ministry.  This is not a concept that we can disregard.  Relationships are the ONLY way we truly influence anyone else - and it is certainly the only way to lead others closer to Christ.  In his words..."It's the way we as leaders serve humanity and God himself, while also creating a distinct and better world."

No comments:

Post a Comment