Saturday, January 22, 2011

Randy's January Book Review: Relational Intellegence - Chapter 1

I chuckled as the author told of a dating story and his deep desire to connect with her, but didn’t know how.  He said the wrong thing at the wrong time and blew it.  The relationship ended.  I suspect we all can relate and tell our own stories, at least I could. 
     The author spent the 1st chapter advertising the need to have Relational Intelligence.  He posed this question:  “What if cultivating smarter relationships became a more integral part of how we approach leading others?”   “Relationships have a direct correlation to the quality of our lives,” a statement from the author.
     Although I didn’t completely agree with the author in an illustration he gave, I do see the need to be smarter with relationships.  Here’s his illustration:  When he got out of college he searched for a job that he could established a relational connection with his boss.  He gave up his first opportunity for a different position, in which he did relationally connect with his boss.  I suppose that is idealistic but I’m not sure it’s realistic.  I looked back on my life and there were bosses I couldn’t connect to but I felt God wanted me in that place for my spiritual development. 
     Relationships are the virus of influence.  I like how the author used the word virus in a good spread of influence.  I have the potential to infect people, either in a positive or negative way.  I was challenged to have good spiritual health because viruses spread out. 
     I appreciated the last part of this chapter.  The author introduced a tool to measure relational quotient or as he refers to it: RQ   
Web site to measure RQ:  http://relationalintelligence.info/
My Score:
RQ Score: 76
Your Normalized RQ Score represents your relational intelligence measured on a scale from 1 to 100. This number is an absolute rating and has no correlation to the general population.
What does my score mean?
  •  0 to 60 - Below Average
  • 60 to 75 - Average
  • 75 to 100 - Above Average
My greatest area was self awareness
After going through this book I will take this again and find out if and how much I’ve improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment