Thursday, February 24, 2011

Allison's February book review - RI chap 2

I love how he calls this chapter the Micheal Scott Syndrome, which he of course is referring to the TV series called the Office, Steve Saccone is correct in his correlation of the manager being completely oblivious to his own folly's as any of us can be; although Micheal Scott is quite idiotic! I can think of at least one person in my life who can be almost as idiotic as Micheal Scott. For myself I am a person who at times analysis herself to much. My analysis of myself doesn't necessarily mean that I am correct in the way I view myself. Like in the book when Steve Saccone says this: "A friend of mine was caught off guard recently, when someone he highly respected told him, "In some ways, you are better than you think you are, but in other ways, you are not as good as you think you are."" Which then of course led him into the point of having others around us who will speak honestly into our lives, for us to gain perspectives other then our own, or even from people who will just tell us what we want to hear. I do desire to have people like that in all areas of my life, I have people who help keep me on track with ministry but not necessarily in my personal life. Often times I find myself speaking honestly into others lives, but do not recieve the same feedback. I've often thought to myself it would be great to have someone give me feedback,but it is also very intimidating thought. Steve Saccone says that we need to be able to foster feedback from people who can extract insight from some of our best moments, as well as from some of our worst. After reading this chapter I am making a goal to ask people to be honest with me in all areas of my life. (with out punching them) Just Kidding! I am actually excited about this new perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I hear what you are saying. It is easy to offer lots of advice about what other people are doing wrong (though we usually don't say it to their faces) but it is hard to take criticism sometimes, especially when you know it's a weak area. Don't punch me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I know what you mean about people not volunteering that feedback. Especially when you're a fairly confident, outgoing person - people often assume you don't need it (which is totally wrong). I've come to you for honesty, so I'm happy to return the favor...over the phone. LOL

    ReplyDelete