Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nat's Feb RI "Chapter 2" Review

Oh oh Michael Scott! Who doesn't love "The Office"? How we love to watch him be such a fool. I find myself embarrassed for him at times in the show because I think, "how can you be so dumb?" Steve Saccone definitely nailed Michael right on as being blissfully unaware. He truly believes he is the most awesome everything and that people should treat him as such. How well does that correlate to our lives sometimes. Of course I am talking in 2nd person here because as this chapter reveals, it is not easy to point the finger back at ourselves to reveal the flaws. Self-awareness is such a polite way of saying it, but how true it is. Reality is a funny thing because I have my version of what I think and see and then there's how someone else sees things and then there's the objectional view of how things really are. I guess I feel for Michael because there are times when I look at myself, knowing full well of a particular area of weakness, and I'd rather just hide it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist because I just don't want to go there; I don't want to deal with the feelings or do the work to strengthen myself in that area.

This chapter was a good reminder for me that I have become lax in this area. I do feel like I have genuine people in my life who are trustworthy and honest, but loving to speak into my life, but I don't think I invite them often enough to give their input. And this chapter has really challenged me to bite the bullet and ask my friends and love ones who I value to give me input. I want an honest look at myself through their eyes and I know it may be a tough pill to swallow, but I really think I need at this point. I do feel as if I am in a bit of a rut and I think I need a little nudge to get going up the hill again. I really liked his line "...there should definitely be some people who practically make us nervous about what they might say because they are willing to be so completely honest." I have definitely had that feeling before. But the biggest times of spiritual growth for me was when I opened myself up to people who I saw as wise and admired their walk with Christ and allowed their influence to change some things in my life.

I am looking forward to gaining some fresh insight about myself. Scared but intrigued. Thank you Michael Scott for showing me who I do not want to be.

1 comment:

  1. That was AWESOME! Thanks for getting personal! I'm right there with you. :o)

    ReplyDelete