Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Annette's January Post

I am definitely glad we are reading this book - so far it looks like it's going to be GREAT!  Relational intelligence is a really creative way of expressing this idea.  I thought it was poignant that the issue of "conflict" was used right away to define the idea of relational intelligence.  He said a person with a high level of RI knows "how to resolve conflict in a healthy manner that fosters the strength of a relationship rather than breaking it down".  Managing conflict is definitely a HUGE part of having healthy relationships.

"Relationships have a direct correlation to the quality of our lives."  That is such a true statement, yet I think we would all admit we don't always invest as much as we need to in order to have great relationships.  We want relationships to be great and we get frustrated when they're not, yet we seldom are doing 100% of what we can to make them great.  The concept of human economy is interesting.  It definitely can change your thinking about why relationships matter.  It's not only about making life better.  It also relates to productivity, outreach, effectiveness, and physical/emotional health.

"Leaders have the potential to infect people in a way that moves them forward or backward."  What do you think about having that kind of influence?  For some, that's scary!  But you're all already leaders - so you're already doing this!  I hope this process helps us to examine what direction we're moving people. 

I thought it was pretty striking to say that relationships are the proof of God.  But I agree!  I'd never thought of it like that, but it's true.  I hope to learn how to let the love of God love THROUGH me more effectively - and increase my RQ.  By the way, my RQ was 86.  Pretty cool assessment tool!  I'd be curious to have you guys do the 360 assessment about me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment